Home to Gilbert Gostwyck Cory
VACY HALL WAS HOME TO GILBERT GOSTWYCK CORY FOR OVER 50 YEARS
Obituary from the Pastoral Review 1924
Just as the August issue was going to press news was received of the death at the age of 84 years of one of Queensland's most prominent retired pastoralists, Mr. Gilbert Gostwyck Cory, of Vacy, Toowoomba, Queensland.
The late Mr. Cory was born on the Paterson River, N.S.W., in 1839, being the second son of the late Mr. Gilbert Cory, of Vacy. After completing his education at The King's School, Parramatta, N.S.W., he, when 19 years of age, overlanded to Brisbane, and thence to Toowoomba on horseback.
With a natural liking for pastoral pursuits, and having been born and reared amongst cattle, he entered the employ of the late Hon. James Taylor. It was not long before he won his way up to the managership of Cecil Plains, a fine property on the Condamine, and on the western side of the Darling Downs, owned by Mr. Taylor. He supervised the management of this place until it was sold in 1913.
In the early seventies Mr. Henry Cory, a younger brother, had sheep on country adjoining a large tract of first-class land on the Thompson River. Seeing its possibilities, he offered a half-share to his brother, the subject of these notes. The offer was accepted, so the Cory Bros, took up this land and named it Tocal, after the place of the same name on the Paterson River, N.S.W. Some time later, Mr. Taylor came into this partnership, and continued in it until the station was eventually sold.
Some few years later Mr. Gostwyck Cory selected a piece of Cecil Plains for himself, and worked it into one of the best properties in the district. This place was named Vacy Plains, and was sold just after the commencement of the war.
For many years Mr. Cory had resided at Vacy, Toowoomba, and had devoted his attention to the betterment of the district. He was on the committee of the Queensland Royal Agricultural Society for thirty-seven years, being president for over ten years. He was trustee of the R.A.S., also of the Toowoomba Racecourse (Clifford Park), and at one time of the Toowoomba Grammar School. He was one of the original members of the Toowoomba Turf Club, and for many years president of the Downs Amateur Picnic Race Club. He was also a director of the Toowoomba Foundry. For thirty-six years he was a member of the Jondaryan Shire Council, and one of the founders of the Rabbit Board, of which he was for many years chairman. In 1891 he was mayor of Toowoomba.
The late Mr. Cory will be sadly missed by all, especially in southern Queensland and northern New South Wales. He had a charming disposition and was loved by all who had the pleasure of his acquaintance. He was the brother of the late Mr. Edward Cory, of Terry-Hie-Hie, N.S.W.; the late Mr. Alfred Cory, of Listowel Downs, Q., and Stradbroke, N.S.W.; the late Mr. Charlie Cory, of Hughenden, Q.; the late Mr. Frank Cory, of Longreach; Mr. Henry Cory, of Vermont, Q.; the late Mrs. J. R. Black, of Wallangra, N.S.W.; Mrs. Frank Reynolds, of Tocal, N.S.W.; Mrs. Riley, of Yass; and Mrs. Rogers, of Sydney.
He was predeceased by his wife, only son and one daughter, while three daughters survive him—Mrs. Hunt, of Toowoomba, Q.; Mrs. Duncan Sinclair, of Fraser's Creek, N.S.W.; and Miss Cory, of Toowoomba.
- Pastoral Review, 16 September 1924, pp 751-52
He died on August 8, 1924 at the ripe old age of 84 after living at Vacy Hall for over 50 years. Shortly after his death the new owners subdivided much of the grounds and gardens around Vacy Hall in 1926 when over 18 blocks were carved off to create the Vacy Estate.